Sunday, June 24, 2012
Cole's Life-Changing Peanut Butter Coca-Cola Cake
1 cup Coca-Cola
1/2 cup almond milk with 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar stirred in (vegan buttermilk)
1 cup (2 sticks) Fleischmann's margarine, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 t. egg replacer, mixed with 1 T. ground flaxseed meal and 5 T. hot water (set aside for a few minutes)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 package Wegman's gluten-free chocolate cake mix (Betty Crocker makes one also)
1/2 cup Bob's Red Mill gluten-free all-purpose baking mix
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
Peanut Butter Frosting (see below)
1 cup chopped honey-roasted peanuts
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Combine cola and "buttermilk" in a 2-cup measuring cup.
2. Beat margarine at low speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating until blended. Add egg replacer/flax meal mixture and vanilla; beat at low speed just until blended.
3. Whisk together cake mix, baking mix, and cocoa in a medium bowl. Add to butter mixture alternately with Coke/milk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition. Pour batter into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch pan (or lined muffin pan).
4. Bake at 350° for 35 to 40 minutes for cake (or 25 minutes for cupcakes) or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, prepare Peanut Butter Frosting. Pour or spoon over warm cake. Sprinkle with chopped peanuts.
Peanut Butter Frosting
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) Fleischmann's margarine
3/4 cup almond milk
1 cup creamy peanut butter
16 oz. powdered sugar (or more as needed)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Melt margarine in a sauce pan over medium heat. Whisk in milk and bring to a boil, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to low and whisk in peanut butter until smooth. Gradually whisk in sugar until smooth; remove from heat and whisk in vanilla. Use immediately.
For you lucky souls who can eat eggs, dairy and wheat, here's Southern Living's original recipe - only Southerners could come up with something this fabulous!