These are just so delicious and easy to make. I adapted them from the recipe in Joy of Cooking.
* 3 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
* 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1 tablespoon ground ginger
* 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
* 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
* 6 tablespoons non-dairy butter (3/4 stick)
* 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
* 1 large egg (replacer)
* 1/2 cup molasses
* 2 teaspoons vanilla
* 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
1. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves until well blended.
2. In a large bowl beat butter, brown sugar, and egg (replacer) on medium speed until well blended.
3. Add molasses, vanilla, and lemon zest and continue to mix until well blended.
4. Gradually stir in dry ingredients until blended and smooth.
5. Divide dough in half, wrap each half in wax paper and refrigerate for at least an hour.
6. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
7. Place one portion of the dough on a lightly floured surface.
8. Sprinkle flour lightly over dough and rolling pin.
9. Roll dough to a scant 1/4-inch thick.
10. Use additional flour to avoid sticking.
11. Cut out cookies with desired cutter and transfer to cookie sheet, working quickly and lifting dough often.
12. Space cookies 1 1/2-inches apart.
13. Bake one sheet at a time for 7-10 minutes (the lower time will give you softer cookies).
14. Remove cookie sheet from oven and allow the cookies to stand until the cookies are firm enough to move to a wire rack.
ICING: In bowl, whisk together 2 cups powdered sugar, 4 to 5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, and a few drops of food coloring if desired. Use to ice cooled cookies.